To: Friday 28.07.17
Course: Preserving Collections in the Age of Sustainability
Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts, 118-128 N Broad St, Philadelphia, PA 19102, USA
The Getty Conservation Institute (GCI) is offering an innovative course for mid- to senior-career professionals involved in conservation, collection or facility management in cultural institutions. Managing Collection Environments: Preserving Collections in the Age of Sustainability brings together different disciplines, emerging knowledge, and the skills required to communicate and build consensus on the most appropriate approaches for climate control.
The course comprises three phases:
- Phase 1: Online Activities, Beginning March 2017 (10 weeks)
- Phase 2: Intensive Workshop, June 5-16, 2017, Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts, Philadelphia
- Phase 3: Distance Mentoring, Beginning July 2017 (six months)
The course aims to disseminate recent research and thinking on technical aspects of environmental management while enhancing participants' critical thinking and analysis of different kinds of information, and enhancing their decision making and influence within institutional frameworks.
The course seeks to provide participants with:
- Updated and refreshed technical knowledge to analyse and communicate collection risks
- Ability to discuss management of collection climates from the perspectives of architects, conservators, curators, facilities managers, scientists, and institutional administrators by blending the experience and knowledge of experts with participants' own situations
- Ability to set problems and solutions into institutional frameworks while exploring decision making that balances all issues and stakeholders and builds towards institutional consensus
- Ability to develop holistic, sustainable solutions based on the needs and capacities of participants' institutions
- A network of professionals dedicated to sustainable preservation of historic materials
The course fee includes the pre-course online activities and the six-month mentoring period. It does not include travel to Philadelphia, accommodation and meals during the two-week workshop. Apply via the link below by the deadline of 30th November 2016.
Image: Object from Getty Villa collection; Dave Hill, CC BY-SA 2.0