Icon Networks: guidelines for operation
Icon’s Network model provides the means for members to come together across the specialisms, to progress short-term or long-term projects focusing on areas of relevance in conservation outside Icon’s current core activities.
Once enacted, Networks attain recognition within Icon and can apply for funding to support events and other costs, and can use Icon’s internal communication systems to raise awareness among members and non-members alike.
Members seeking to enact Networks should read through the Guidelines below, and follow the instructions provided. All prospective Icon Networks are subject to ratification by Icon’s Board of Trustees, once approved by the Membership Manager.
What is a Network?
- Outreach and engagement oriented
- Committee of two or more Icon members: Proposer and Seconder
- Set objectives allied to Icon’s strategic plan
- Focus on an area outside Icon’s current core activities
- Can be fixed-term
- Subject to ratification by Icon’s Board of Trustees
What is required?
- A Chair
- A second Committee member, of some description
- Membership Manager to act as Treasurer
- Publicity, working with the Membership Manager
- In the case of funding applications, a budget plan
- In the case of event fees, Member and non-member rates based on the provision of Icon membership cards
What can then be accessed?
- Status within Icon
- Opportunities to engage Icon members and potential members
- Communications with the membership
- Potential funding for events and Committee expenses (in line with Icon’s established policies)
- Website space
- Admin support
What is excluded?
- Cannot be used for groups of members to apply for funding to attend non-Icon events of any description
- Cannot be used for groups of members to advance commercial interests, for example to stage a conference promoting a private organisation
- Cannot be used for groups of members to go on conservation-related study trips
How to enact an Icon Network
- Speak to the Membership Manager in the first instance to discuss your idea and objectives
- Submit a Network Inception Form, available below
- Network Inception Form
- Network Funding Application (if necessary – from March 2017)
21st October 2016
Image: Delegates at Icon Conference 2016; Bianca Harvey