A key objective of Icon’s advocacy and policy work is to make our knowledge, research and expertise accessible to a wide range of actors.
Through our briefings, policy responses and factsheets we aim for target audiences to understand our ideas, be convinced by them and ultimately make them their own and act on these ideas.
Icon publishes briefings to outline our position or response to an issue. We use them to support and communicate advocacy campaigns with the intention of engaging and persuading informed, non-specialist audiences such as politicians, NGO advocates, civil servants and journalists.
We share briefings across our social media feeds and distribute them to stakeholders. We invite third parties to use the briefings in news stories or for general information and hope they will inspire members’ own advocacy activities.
Government departments and organisations use consultations to ask for advice from a wider group. Consultations are vital for the development of well-informed policies.
Icon consequently responds to consultations on legislation, policy, guidance and strategies affecting our sector. Our responses are written with input from the Policy Advisory Panel, Trustees, Groups and individual members to ensure that the voice and expertise of the conservation profession is heard.
Responses, Statements and Letters
- Icon submission to Comprehensive Spending Review
- Icon statement on value of care of collections professions
- Submission to DCMS Select Committee on impact of Coronavirus
- Icon statement on Coronavirus
- Letter to Cabinet Secretary for Economy, Fair Work and Culture (Scotland) - Coronavirus impact: National Trust for Scotland announcement of emergency actions. Response from the Cabinet Secretary for Economy, Fair Work and Culture.
- Letter to Director of Historic Environment Division, Department for Communities (Northern Ireland) - Coronavirus and the conservation sector
- Letter to Deputy Minister for Culture, Sport and Tourism (Wales) - Coronavirus and the conservation sector
- Letter to Cabinet Secretary for Economy, Fair Work and Culture (Scotland) - Cultural heritage sector self-employed workers
- Letter to Chancellor of the Exchequer - Self-employment Income Support Scheme
- Letter to Secretary of State, Housing, Communities and Local Government - 'Essential working' and construction sites
- Letter to Secretary of State, Digital, Culture, Media and Sport - Coronavirus and the conservation sector
- Letter to Chancellor of the Exchequer - Support for the cultural heritage sector during the Coronavirus
- Letter to Secretary of State, Health and Social Care - Coronavirus: wellbeing and cultural heritage conservation
- Letter to Tracy Brabin MP - Support for self-employed workers during Coronavirus
- Icon briefing on UKRI: Opportunities to grow our capability
- Icon response to DCMS Treasure Act review
- Icon response to Scottish Government draft climate change adaptation programme
- Icon briefing on immigration
- Icon briefing on soft power
- Icon statement on NHS Long Term Plan
- Icon response to Welsh Government Draft Climate Change Adaptation Plan
- Icon response to HES Climate Change Impacts on the Historic Environment
- Icon response to Arts Council of Wales Lottery Strategy 2019-2024 consultation
- Icon letter to The Guardian on Government spending on Conservation
- Icon response to Welsh Government Connected Communities: Tackling Loneliness and Social Isolation consultation