To: Monday 21.05.18
The Nature of Textiles: Textile Group Forum
ICON Textile Group
Museum of London
ICON Textile Group's annual Forum theme is ‘textiles and nature’.
The day will include an opportunity to see the newly redisplayed Museum of London 'Pleasure Gardens' exhibit, refreshments, lunch and a chance to win some charity raffle prizes.
The 2018 AGM will be held on the day of the Forum (time to be confirmed). Please contact any committee member if you have anything you wish to add to the agenda.
The Textile Group AGM will be held on the day of the Forum (2pm-2.30pm, Weston Theatre, Museum of London). If you would like to attend the AGM but are not attending the Forum please contact Alison by 18th May to ensure that you can gain entry to the museum. Also contact Alison by the same date if you are not attending the AGM but would like a point added to the agenda.
Confirmed Forum presentation topics and speakers
- The ‘Wonder of Birds’ Carries On … - Deborah Phipps
- Distorted Iridescence: Investigating the Microstructural Changes in Jewel Beetle Elytra on Textiles - Lauren Osmond
- A Natural Legacy: Conserving Orra White Hitchcock’s Classroom Charts - Camille Myers Breeze
- Ruffled Feathers: Conservation of Taxidermy Bird Specimens - Chelsea McKibbin
- Making Friends with Fur - Rachel Rhodes
- Inspired by Nature: Fabrics of the Future - Sarah Glenn and Roisin Morris
- Conservation of Tahitian Tiputa from HMS Galatea, Economic Botany Collection at Kew - Misa Tamura
- Natural Dyes in Textile Conservation - Cecilia Aguirre
- Understanding Historic Glass Fibre Dresses and Their Needs in Conservation - Charlotte Holzer
- Wet Cleaning Knotted Carpets – Summary of Fellowship Investigations - Frances Hartog
- The Dry Cleaning of Fashion Collections with Supercritical C0 2 Technology: A Green Way to Clean? - Emmanuelle Garcin
- Metal Threads and Adhesive: The Conservation Treatment of an Embroidered Coat of Arms from a Queen Anne Throne Canopy - Viola Nicastro
We have organised free events for our members days around the conference. Limited tickets are available at checkout when buying your conference ticket.
*SOLD OUT* Entry to Fashioned from Nature, V&A.
3.30pm, Sunday 20th May 2018.
Meet outside the exhibition entrance.
Tour of the Linnaean Society, Burlington House, Piccadilly.
10am, Tuesday 22nd May 2018.
Join us for a guided tour of the world-famous Linnaean Society, the world’s oldest extant biological society. Learn about the history of the society, Carl Linnaeus and see behind the scenes at the collections, including some textile-related manuscripts, papers, bark-cloth and beautiful illustrations.
Tour of the British Museum Textile Conservation Studio
2.30-4pm, Tuesday 22nd May 2018
Chance to see behind the scenes at the British Museum textile conservation studio.