Icon Policy and Advocacy
Icon is an ambitious advocacy body and thought leader for cultural heritage conservation.
INVESTIGATION & ANALYSIS
- We research the cultural heritage conservation sector and wider political landscape to identify opportunities and challenges and to deliver insight to stakeholders.
- We do this by monitoring policy developments, analysing the ever-evolving stakeholder landscape and building the evidence base of our sector.
- We have seized opportunities to raise conservation on government agendas and turned international demand for our sector’s skills into a formal partnership.
- We engage widely with the cultural heritage sector to pool resources for maximum benefit and to ensure conservation is included within wider discussions.
- We do this by drawing on the expertise of our members, collaborating with partners on shared initiatives and developing and managing partnerships.
- We have unlocked funding for new collaborative projects and our messages have been highlighted within unified responses informing top-level decision making.
- We influence decision makers, opinion formers and the public to ensure cultural heritage conservation is widely valued, understood and supported.
- We do this by responding to parliamentary business, sharing high quality briefings and promoting positive messages on a content-rich website.
- We have helped decision makers recognize the impact of policy changes on cultural heritage and to develop new solutions and convinced others to join our efforts.
Allied professionals, sector bodies and businesses, private owners, volunteers, academics and members of the public stand to benefit from the positive change we engender of cultural heritage being better understood, appreciated and cared for.
Sound too good to be true? Take a look at our case studies, which evidence some of our recent successes and outline how you may have benefitted.
Our advocacy work and its intended impact is summarised below:
Responses, Statements and Letters
- Icon response to DCMS Treasure Act review
- Icon response to Scottish Government draft climate change adaptation programme
- Icon briefing on immigration
- Icon briefing on soft power
- Icon statement on NHS Long Term Plan
- Icon response to Welsh Government Draft Climate Change Adaptation Plan
- Icon response to HES Climate Change Impacts on the Historic Environment
- Icon letter to The Guardian on Government spending on Conservation
- Icon response to Welsh Government Connected Communities: Tackling Loneliness and Social Isolation consultation
Image c. Jennifer Marchant
Responses, Statements and Letters from previous years:
- Icon statement on DEFRA: A Green Future: Our 25 Year Plan to Improve the Environment
- Icon response to Historic England Conservation Principles consultation
- Icon response to Department for Education Implementation of T Level Programmes consultation
- Icon response to DCMS Select Committee Inquiry: Social Impact of Participation in Culture and Sport