Collection Care Manager
The House of Lords are seeking a Collection Care Manager
We are looking for an experienced, enthusiastic and talented Conservator, who will lead on managing and developing a team to deliver a conservation and preservation service to the Archives and its collections, ensuring the long-term preservation and accessibility of our physical collections.
The Parliamentary Archives is a shared service of both Houses of Parliament, based in the House of Lords but jointly funded by the House of Lords and House of Commons. It provides innovative and expert information management, preservation, access and outreach services enabling anyone in the world to use Parliament’s records, both now and in the future.
The Collection Care team undertake a range of conservation and preservation activities to help secure the stability of the Archive’s physical collections and enable public access. They also work with other collections teams across Parliament, including the Libraries, Works of Art and Historic Furnishings.
This is an exciting time to join the team and the successful candidate will have the opportunity to participate and contribute at a time of change, when projects and programmes such as Archives Accommodation Programme (AAP) are affecting the Archives’ work and priorities.
The postholder will lead on managing and developing the Archives’ conservation and preservation function, ensuring all work adheres to professional best practice and ethical standards and collections security and health and safety needs are met.
They will be responsible for conservation and preservation projects, providing expertise and advice and support for Pack & Track, digitisation and exhibitions and outreach activities and lead a team of 4 conservators, motivating, developing, mentoring, coaching and training them, to ensure their continuing professional development.
The successful candidate will have the following skills/experience:
- Expertise in a specific area of book or paper conservation and experience of working with Library and Archive materials (books, paper, parchment)
- Ability to undertake complex conservation and preservation projects and research
- Understanding of current Conservation and Collection Care best practice
- Ability to work under pressure and to manage competing requirements and expectations, prioritising appropriately to achieve targets
- Experience of inclusively managing, motivating, training and developing staff
For further information and to apply please visit the House of Lords website.