Report on Icon Board activities
The first full meeting of the Board in 2019 took place high above Tower Hill in the lofty conference spaces of the citizenM hotel. Trustees had a very full agenda, but the afternoon began with a helpful and enlightening presentation on charity governance from Kathryn Burton, our Audit Partner at Hayesmacintyre.
Three key items of business were:
- the adoption of the Budget for 2019/20 on the recommendation of the Finance Committee;
- the adoption of the Icon Trustees Code of Conduct; and
- the reappointment of Frances Graupner and Ruth Howlett as co-opted Trustees.
Several committee appointments were also made:
- Jonathan Betts and Hannah Clare will join the Nominations Committee;
- Sophie Rowe will join the Professional Standards and Development Committee; and
- Lucie Mascord will join the Finance Committee.
Rebecca Hellen will also remain on the Finance Committee as a co-opted member.
The Board also received updates from two of Icon’s task and finish groups – both the Ethics T&F Group and the Groups Review T&F Group are making steady progress – and discussed the final report of the Supporter Base T&F Group. This group has now been wound up with the Board endorsing its two recommendations. Essentially, these are to engage Icon’s membership with the idea of growing Icon’s supporter base through the development of a Friends membership category and then to develop a business plan for servicing a membership of 500 ‘Friends’. The Senior Management Team will now progress these activities.
Lastly, the Board endorsed the Professional Standards and Development Team’s Future of Icon Accreditation 2019-2024 report. The report distils the huge amount of constructive feedback gathered from a variety of sources over the last year and proposes seven key areas of work for the next five years:
- Marketing of Accreditation
- Professional Standards
- PACR Pathway Membership Category
- Cost of PACR
- Online application and CPD portal
- PACR Assessment Process
- Understanding of the purpose of CPD
Further details will be shared in the next edition of Icon News.