Coronavirus Historic Buildings and Sites
Although many conservators work on objects and collections in museums, libraries and archives, many also work on historic buildings and large structures. Architectural and archaeological conservators often work on site and therefore the closure of project sites has had a major impact on them. To support our members we have collated the following guidance on caring for historic buildings during the Coronavirus pandemic and on returning to work safely.
Caring for buildings in lockdown
Church of England:
- Securing and caring for church buildings during the Covid-19 pandemic
- Access to church buildings during lockdown
- Opening church buildings for works to the building and interior
- Access to church buildings for construction work during lockdown
Safe working guidance
Following the government's latest updates to their guidance on getting back to work, some conservators may be preparing a return to work. As we begin to emerge from lockdown, several challenges need to be tackled in order to ensure that conservators and others can work safely on site.
- UK Government - Working safely during coronavirus (COVID-19): Construction and other outdoor work: Guidance on working safely for people who work in or run outdoor working environments.
- Scottish Government - Coronavirus (COVID-19): construction sector guidance: Guidance on construction sites and associated works that can continue under specific conditions.
- Health and Safety Executive - Coronavirus (COVID-19): latest information and advice: Guidance to working safely and running your business while keeping employees safe
- Construction Leadership Council - Site Operating Procedures: Guidance introducing consistent measures on construction sites of all types and sizes in line with the Government’s recommendations on social distancing
- Prospect - Prospect Archaeologists: H&S guidance for continuing work on site
- Prospect - Prospect archaeologists agree industry statement on safer working: Statement promoting safer working environments on constructions sites during the COVID-19 pandemic
Summaries of safe working guidance
- CIfA - Site working in the UK and COVID-19: Synopsis of guidance and announcements on site working during Coronavirus.
- CITB - Coronavirus (COVID-19) communication updates: Summary of CITB support
- Federation of Master Builders - Restarting Building Work: Comprehensive guidance setting out advice on issues to consider when starting or restarting a building project during the coronavirus (COVID-19) crisis. Includes summary of rules in England, Scotland and Wales and advice on contracts, insurance and finance.
- Federation of Master Builders - Responding to Coronavirus: News and updates on the Federation’s support around Coronavirus.
- FAME - Coronavirus (COVID-19) and Archaeology: Information on health and safety, government support and legal matters for archaeologists.
- RIBA - Digest: RIBA's information and member support on COVID-19: Summary of RIBA’s support and activities.