Coronavirus Icon Policy Activity
Icon is working hard to lobby for support for conservators with Government and decision makers. We are collaborating closely with The Heritage Alliance and other sector bodies to coordinate our efforts and to offer guidance to cultural heritage organisations at this challenging time.
Our lobbying efforts have already been effective. We have been invited to join a cross-sector group that is providing briefings to Government via DCMS. Having access to this direct channel of communication places us in a good position to raise concerns and propose solutions. We are confident that we can use this to advantage to gain better support for the cultural heritage community and the collections in our care.
In April 2020, Icon undertook a survey asking conservators to share how they had been affected by the Coronavirus pandemic to help inform our lobbying work. You can read the results of the survey here.
We continue to collect evidence, case studies and feedback from our members to understand key issues and challenges for the profession as they emerge. If you have personal experiences or case studies of how the pandemic is affecting you, please share them with us so we can increase our evidence base: firstname.lastname@example.org
Below you can find copies of our statements and letters related to the Coronavirus pandemic:
- Icon statement on Coronavirus
- Letter to Cabinet Secretary for Economy, Fair Work and Culture (Scotland) - Coronavirus impact: National Trust for Scotland announcement of emergency actions. Response from the Cabinet Secretary for Economy, Fair Work and Culture.
- Letter to Director of Historic Environment Division, Department for Communities (Northern Ireland) - Coronavirus and the conservation sector
- Letter to Deputy Minister for Culture, Sport and Tourism (Wales) - Coronavirus and the conservation sector
- Letter to Cabinet Secretary for Economy, Fair Work and Culture (Scotland) - Cultural heritage sector self-employed workers
- Letter to Chancellor of the Exchequer - Self-employment Income Support Scheme
- Letter to Secretary of State, Housing, Communities and Local Government - 'Essential working' and construction sites
- Letter to Secretary of State, Digital, Culture, Media and Sport - Coronavirus and the conservation sector
- Letter to Chancellor of the Exchequer - Support for the cultural heritage sector during the Coronavirus
- Letter to Secretary of State, Health and Social Care - Coronavirus: wellbeing and cultural heritage conservation
- Letter to Tracy Brabin MP - Support for self-employed workers during Coronavirus